The St. Louis Terriers were originally owned by brewer Otto Stifel and E. A. Steininger. Before the 1914 season, Stifel sold out when the losses got to be too high. Refrigeration magnate Phillip De Catesby Ball stepped in to infuse new capital into the organization.
The team was first managed by future Hall of Famer, Mordecai Brown. Brown pitched and managed the club for the majority of the 1914 campaign but was traded near the end of the season to Brooklyn. The team was mired in the bottom division at the time. Fielder Jones replaced Brown as manager for the team.
Jones managed the team for the 1915 season, and the team rose from last place in 1914 to second place. The Terriers just missed first place by .001 winning percentage, the closest in major league baseball history.
The team's nickname was the Terriers, but when Mordecai Brown was manager, the newspapers often referred to the team as the "Miners" and "Brownies" in reference to their field general.
1914 St. Louis Terriers
1915 St. Louis Terriers